COVID-19 Information for 2020 i3 PhD Teaching Fellow Applicants

Update: May 16, 2020

To ensure the safety of our i3 Scholars and i3 community, we are postponing this year’s Introductory Institute. Teaching Fellow applicants should receive an email with more information by May 25.


Update: May 9, 2020

We are currently waiting for additional information in order to make a final decision about the status of this year’s Introductory Institute. Applicants should receive information about their applications by May 16. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.


Update: April 14, 2020

With the COVID-19 global pandemic, we’ve had to reconsider all processes leading up to and including our 2020 Introductory Institute. The safety, health, and well-being of our i3 Scholars, PhD Teaching Fellows, faculty, guest speakers, and the broader i3 community (including your friends and family) are our top priority.

I’m sure you have questions, so here is what we know thus far:

Will the Introductory Institute still happen this summer?

Tentatively yes, although the dates have shifted to allow more time between now and the Introductory Institute. The new dates are July 5, 2020 – August 1, 2020, which means the dates for PhD Teaching Fellows are July 9, 2020 – July 24, 2020.

While we haven’t cancelled the Introductory Institute at this current time, we are actively monitoring all communications from Public Health, Medical, and Higher Education professionals as we move closer to summer. We will only hold the Introductory Institute if it is absolutely safe to do so. 

What happens if the 2020 Introductory Institute gets cancelled this summer?

While this would bring my team and I great sadness, we will cancel if that is what medical experts deem the best course of action. If you are accepted as a PhD Teaching Fellow for the 2020 i3 Cohort and we need to cancel this summer’s Introductory Institute, we will contact you immediately once a decision is made to discuss alternatives. 

What is the status of my application? 

If you indicate that you can commit to the new dates, we will have your application processed no later than April 24th. 

What if I applied to multiple summer opportunities?

If you have an opportunity to accept a position this summer that is not in jeopardy of being cancelled (i.e. a virtual position, one that does not require travel, or is local / classified as essential), we recommend you pursue that opportunity instead of the i3 Fellowship this summer. We don’t want anyone to give up a guaranteed or paid position. We encourage you to apply for next year (2021), regardless of your graduation date. 

This is a time of uncertainty, so as we move through the next few weeks we will be sure to communicate with you as we know more. Please be gentle with yourselves and stay well.


Kayla Booth & Elizabeth Eikey

Director & Assistant Director