COVID-19 Information for 2020 i3 Scholar Applicants
Update: May 16, 2020
To ensure the safety of our i3 Scholars and i3 community, we are postponing this year’s Introductory Institute. Applicants should receive an email with more information by May 25.
Update: May 9, 2020
We are currently waiting for additional information in order to make a final decision about the status of this year’s Introductory Institute. Applicants should receive information about their applications by May 16. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.
Update: April 14, 2020
With the COVID-19 global pandemic, we’ve had to reconsider all processes leading up to and including our 2020 Introductory Institute. The safety, health, and well-being of our i3 Scholars, faculty, guest speakers, and the broader i3 community (including your friends and family) are our top priority.
I’m sure you have questions, so here is what we know thus far:
Will the Introductory Institute still happen this summer?
Tentatively yes, although the dates have shifted to allow more time between now and the Introductory Institute. The new dates are July 5, 2020 – August 1, 2020.
While we haven’t cancelled the Introductory Institute at this current time, we are actively monitoring all communications from Public Health, Medical, and Higher Education professionals as we move closer to summer. We will only hold the Introductory Institute if it is absolutely safe to do so.
What happens if the 2020 Introductory Institute gets cancelled this summer?
While this would bring my team and I great sadness, we will cancel if that is what medical experts deem the best course of action. If you are admitted to join the 2020 i3 Cohort and we need to cancel this summer’s Introductory Institute, you will be automatically admitted to join us in Summer 2021 (regardless of your graduation status and year).
What is the status of my application?
If you indicate that you can commit to the new dates, we will have your application processed no later than April 22nd.
What if I applied to multiple summer opportunities?
If you have an opportunity to accept a position this summer that is not in jeopardy of being cancelled (i.e. a virtual position, one that does not require travel, or is local / classified as essential), we recommend you pursue that opportunity instead of i3 this summer. We don’t want anyone to give up a guaranteed or paid position. We encourage you to apply for next year (2021), regardless of your graduation date.
This is a time of uncertainty, so as we move through the next few weeks we will be sure to communicate with you as we know more. Please be gentle with yourselves and stay well.
Kayla Booth & Elizabeth Eikey
Director & Assistant Director